PARIS HOSTS UNITED NATIONS CONFERENCE
ON CLIMATE CHANGE NOV. 30 TO DEC. 11
“What should give us hope that this is a turning point, that this is the moment we finally determined we would save our planet, is the fact that our nations share a sense of urgency about this challenge and a growing realization that it is within our power to do something about it.”
—President Barack Obama, opening session of the COP-21 meeting in Paris, November 30, 2015.
180 COUNTRIES making commitments to cut carbon emissions and embrace a clean, renewable energy era.
THE LARGEST GATHERING OF WORLD LEADERS IN HISTORY!
40,000 WORLD CITIZENS gathering in Paris.
2,300 EVENTS across 175 COUNTRIES attended by 785,000 PEOPLE of all ages, races, backgrounds and faiths.
22,000 PAIRS OF SHOES, including those of Pope Francis and UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, were placed at Place de la Republique, on behalf of the 400,000 people who had been expected to march before heightened security measures were implemented.
10,000 PEOPLE HELD HANDS in solidarity with communities most imminently affected by climate change.
18,000,000 PEOPLE OF FAITH SIGNED A PETITION calling for more action on climate change, delivered to UN Framework Convention on Climate Change executive secretary, Christiana Figueres.
YOU can be a part of it!
- a LIVE stream of the Paris events at http://www.state.gov/e/oes/climate/cop21/video/index.htm
- the speech by President Obama at the opening session of the COP-21 meeting in Paris: http://www.nytimes.com/video/world/europe/100000004065035/obama-speaks-at-climate-summit-in-paris.html OR
- a transcript of his remarks: https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2015/11/30/remarks-president-obama-first-session-cop21
- ongoing highlights on United Nations Conference on Climate Change website: on http://www.cop21.gouv.fr/en/
- photos of Global Climate Marches around the world, preceding the Paris Summit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/350org/sets/72157661452191892?utm_medium=email/with/23318401581
- Spread the word of this GLOBAL, HOPEFUL mobilization.
- Share the stories through Facebook, Twitter and other media outlets.
- Sign the Paris Pledge: http://www.parispledge.org
- Engage your family, friends, co-workers, faith community in raising the bar on their own climate commitments.
- Form a Creation Care/Stewardship Team
- Volunteer, Intern, Collaborate, Advocate with DeIPL & NC3 (New Castle County Congregations)
- BE a religious response to climate change
- THE TIME IS NOW.
Contact Delaware Interfaith Power & Light for resources, activities and support…joining voices, taking action, raising hopes.